Tammy Broccas September 24, 2020
dog running on a trail

Though the question, “Can my dogs eat marshmallows?” is not a very widespread one, it is still useable and should be taken into consideration.

It is completely usual for dogs to want to completely feel like a part of their human families and you may want to guarantee they are always included in your day to day activities. For example, when you are going on camping trips and enjoying marshmallows or any other sweet camping treat, it would not be astonishing for your pet to want to have a little taste of it as well.

However, there are a few questions you need to take into account before feeding your dog the treat. Are marshmallows safe for dog consumption? What are they made of? Even if they are safe for a dog to consume, how often should they do so? Should it be every day, every week or every month?

As your dog’s chief warden, his or her comfort is your full accountability. What you feed them is something you always need to pay consideration to. This article would answer numerous significant questions and give you some understanding into whether or not you should nourish marshmallows to your pet.

Although not all marshmallows are poisonous to dogs, they certainly are not noble for your loyal companion. Marshmallows are made from sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, vanilla extract, and coated with either cornstarch or confectioners’ sugar, and they contain very slight, if any, nutritional value or health benefits, not just to humans but also to the animals.

According to Dr. Carly Fox, a staff doctor at New York City’s Animal Medical Center, if the marshmallow has xylitol (an artificial sugar) as an element, it is unconditionally toxic to your dog and can be tremendously damaging, even if swallowed in minor quantities. “Xylitol can cause dangerously low blood sugar, leading to seizures and even death if the dog is not treated properly,” says Dr. Fox. “It has also been shown to be toxic to the liver, even days after ingestion”.

Marshmallows contain a very high amount of sugar and calories and are particularly dangerous for any dog with diabetes or heaviness problems. Even if your puppy is healthy, feeding him syrupy treats can contribute to fatness, which can lead to diabetes because of the insulin confrontation.

As for marshmallows that do not contain xylitol, both Dr. Fox agrees that ingestion of too many can lead to gastrointestinal upset. Your dog would likely exhibit signs of sickness, lack of hunger, and diarrhea. If those indications persist for more than one-to-two days, your dog could also be at danger for pancreatitis. If he has ingested marshmallows containing xylitol, your pet could exhibit the above symptoms, as well as ataxia (uncoordinated gait) or seizures.

If this situation arises, you must call your veterinarian immediately. Let them know if your dog consumes multiple marshmallows. Your vet will be most probably choose to induce vomiting if the dog ate the marshmallows within the last couple of hours to prevent prolonged gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, and GI obstruction.

Therefore, it can be concluded that feeding your dog treats that are high in sugar is never a decent idea. While these treats might not be dangerous in the short run, this impact can change over time. Ideally, marshmallows should be evaded. Instead, opt for better snacks like carrots, green veggies, berries, etc., that will provide better nutritious value for your dog and keep him healthy.

But how exactly do these treats impact your dog? Find the effects below.

1. Marshmallows contain loads and loads of sugar

Contrary to popular belief, a certain amount of sugar isn’t harmful. In fact, it is really needed for your pet to flourish. Carbohydrates are vital for your dog to maintain a good quality of life. Once swallowed, these carbohydrates are then wrecked down by your pet’s body into glucose or sugar. So with regards to sugars that happen naturally, these are perfectly okay for your dog when the optional amount is taken.

The difficulty is when there is an extreme intake of processed sugar, which leads to a number of unwelcome health issues. Here are a few of such problems:

Excessive sugar causes obesity

Just like humans, one of the biggest offenders of weight gain in dogs is an excess of sugar. There is a number of problems that come with being overweight such as exhaustion and joint problems including arthritis. Heart disease, diabetes, labored breathing and overall breathing problems are also highly likely to occur.

Though it is likely that your dog may seepage these health risks, obesity would still meaningfully reduce his or her quality of life. This is as a result of low energy levels which can disturb both their mental and physical comfort.

Stomach upset

In order for us to ingest and digest food easily, our guts have bacteria and certain microorganisms. This also happens for dogs. When there is an excess of sugar in your dog’s body, the equilibrium of these microorganisms is disturbed, triggering diarrhea and sometimes, vomiting.


In case your dog consumes a lot of sugar, there is also the danger of him or her developing cavities. If your pet eats a high amount of sugar and does not regularly have their teeth cleaned on a proper basis, tooth decay is impossible to avoid.

Even when you severely cut down your dog’s intake of sugar, there is still a chance of the growth of dental caries if you do not take care of his oral hygiene. Therefore, it is vital to purposely feed your dog a diet that is low in sugar and pay steady visits to your vet to have their teeth workwise prepared.

Changes in your dog’s metabolism

The dangerous intake of sugar would cause considerable changes to the way your pet’s body crops and maintains assured hormones in his or her body. For example, too much sugar would upsurge the manufacture of insulin in the body. This, in turn, can affect a few other body purposes and can, in turn, lead to various infections, obesity, and even diabetes.

If your pet’s weight is not monitored and it continues to rapidly increase, there is a high chance of them emerging Type 2 Diabetes.


Insulin is a hormone that is made in the pancreas which works to switch the amount of sugar or glucose in the blood. As stated earlier, the addition of sugar in a dog’s body leads to an overproduction of insulin. As a result, cells no longer respond to this hormone which affects the pancreas to produce very little insulin or none at all. This is how diabetes sets in.

2. In some recipes, marshmallows contain chocolate

A large number of sugary makers now create chocolate-flavored or chocolate-coated marshmallows. If you did not ever know before, your loyal pet should never be fed chocolate. As soon as you realize a marshmallow has chocolate, it is wise and important to keep it far away from your pet.

The reason for this is because chocolate contains methylxanthines, a toxic biochemical which can upset the metabolism of a dog. Though this chemical is advanced in dark chocolate, any kind of chocolate is very unsafe for your pet. Even little quantities can induce vomiting and excessive stooling.

3. False ingredients such as coloring, preservatives, and sweeteners like xylitol are common in marshmallows

The basic recipe for marshmallows has been adapted over time and nowadays, a number of them include fake colors, flavors, preservatives and sweeteners such as xylitol. While a little quantity of sugar on infrequent times will not cause damage to your dog, xylitol is an absolute no-no.

Effects of Xylitol in Dogs

Xylitol is honey alcohol that is a generic substitute for sugar. It is a component that occurs obviously in certain fruits and vegetables such as lettuce, plums, berries, and mushrooms, to mention a few of them. It can also be found in oats and corn. It is largely preferred as a sugar substitute as a result of its little glycemic index, which makes it great for persons on low carbohydrate foods and those who have diabetes. It is also widely used for its aptitude to fight the growth of cavities and prevent the creation of dental plaque.

It has been said before that blood sugar levels are measured by the issue of insulin in the pancreas. This is both in dogs and humans. However, while xylitol does not persuade the issue of insulin in humans, it does complete conflicting in dogs. Xylitol is unconditionally toxic for your dog, considered to be even more toxic than chocolates and leads to life-threatening outcomes.

When a dog takes in xylitol or anything that contains it, his or her blood quickly absorbs it. This next causes a strong release of insulin from the pancreas. The quick announcement of the insulin leads to an equally fast and intense discount of blood sugar levels. This is recognized as hypoglycemia. It can happen within 10 minutes to an hour of intense xylitol and can be possibly life-threatening.

In addition to hypoglycemia, your pet feasting xylitol can also originate liver failure, seizures and in severe cases, death.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning

There are a few hazards of xylitol in your dog but the most shared side effect is hypoglycemia. Xylitol can lead to a dangerous drop in your pet’s blood sugar level as rapidly as 15-30 minutes. Even the minimum quantity spent can cause a lot of damage. There are a few marks for you to tell if your dog is reacting to xylitol poisoning. These include:

  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • A lack of coordination
  • Inability to stand or walk
  • Coma

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This